Sunday, March 10, 2013

a "me" day

Because I am your mom, sometimes I need a "me" day. These quiet days do not come along very often and realistically speaking they are not very quiet, at least the way that I do them. I am very grateful that Daddy insisted I leave the house yesterday and that Grandma sent me a gift so that I could leave the house. I still got up in the morning and made breakfast and prepared the house for me to be gone for the day. I got my things in order and left to meet a friend for a quick cup of coffee and then it was off to the hair salon.

I haven't had my hair done in such a long time. I think I cut it about six months ago, and I haven't had it professionally colored in about two years. It was just one of those luxuries that had to fall by the weigh-side when I became a full time stay at home mommy. But, alas, upon looking at my reflection in the mirror a few weeks ago I noticed something shiny and silvery sticking up on the top of my head. I know grey hair is distinguishing, and I know I've fully earned the changing color of my locks in my long thirty-two years. But, honestly I'm not ready. Yes, there are days where I am so tired and worn down that I feel about three times my age, but then there are days when I'm running around and playing with you girls and I feel like I'm 18 again. Those moments are usually followed by a night of motrin and sleep, but still - I'm just not ready for grey hair.

Being a Stay-at-home-mom has caused me to sink into the ease of dressing. The clean sweat pants and shirt are usually the quickest things to pull on. The dress clothes and shoes have certainly been traded for slip on UGGS and bleach splattered sweat shirts. And, well, if I have jeans on - watch out I'm dressed to impress! My make-up palette and brushes sit pretty much unused and my straightening iron is collecting dust. These things have no use in my hectic day to day life with three little girls who need me pretty much constantly. However, there is a gala coming in two weeks for which I must dress to impress. And, more importantly, every now and then I need to impress myself and maybe even those around me :o) So, off I went to the salon. We chose caramel highlights and soft flowing layers. I once again have two distinct eyebrows and it feels wonderful! I cherished every minute from having my hair washed to someone else drying it for me. I used my foil time to organize my to-do list for said gala and then I just sat for a few minutes. It's amazing that the task of going to the hair salon can feel like such a piece of heaven, but it's all in our perspective. I sat for 2 hours without being climbed on or yelled to once! It was great, and yet, I texted home three times because I missed them!

When my hair was done I had to high tale it down the highway to the spa an hour away for a pedicure and manicure. My feet have not seen the light of day since about August. This winter has been particularly vicious on my skin. Everything is so dry from repeated washing and sanitizing. I settled myself in to the massaging chair and prepared to relax. Of course, I texted home again to check on the kiddos - I mean they had been sick, and to make sure they hadn't tied Daddy up or pushed him down the stairs. The pedicure and manicure were amazing. My feet felt human again! As requested by Molly, I got purple toe-nails to show my Purple Pride for not only our gala but also the upcoming International Purple Day for Epilepsy (March 26th). And much to Keddy's chagrin, I didn't put pink in my hair, but I did put it on my nails for her. My time was soon over. I had intended to do some outlet shopping, but I was missing my girls and Chris and decided to head home in time to help with dinner.
 


I no sooner walked in the door then I had three little leeches hanging on mama, but their kind words and compliments of my beauty were so heartwarming, I didn't care. I was home for five minutes before I was thinking of the next time I might get pampered, but then I quickly realized that I am truly pampered every day. It may be with love, sloppy kisses and snuggles - but it's a wonderful kind of pampering! So, yes, I enjoyed my "me" day very much - but here, at home is where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment